Magicka: Vietnam is the first DLC for Magicka that contains new playable content. The DLC features wizards fighting in the Vietnam jungles with various machine guns such as the AK47. Players will be able to liberate prisoners from a POW camp, face off against deadly Vietnam themed enemies, fight in fields of rice paddies and destroy buildings filled with Goblin-Congs. The release date is set at April 12, 2011 and the DLC will be available on all major digital distribution channels for $4.99.
During a five hour live stream interview between TotalBiscuit and the Magicka developers held on March 12, 2011 and another interview at GDC 2011 by Gamereactor, it was revealed that Magicka: Vietnam will include:
- New wizard model: GI Wizard robe
- A new scenario challenge with 3 scenes
- A new survival challenge with increased difficulty featuring Vietnam enemies
- New enemies: Vietcong Goblins, Orcs and Trolls wielding heavy machine guns and more
- New weapons: M16, AK47, RPG, RPD and more
- New staves: Patriot Staff that throws Liberty Grenades (that can be pushed)
- New magick: Napalm
- The ability to crouch. If you hold a machine gun, Blocking (Ctrl) will cause you to crouch instead and dodge gunfire.
The new challenge map will take place in the jungles of Vietnam. In keeping with the Vietnam theme, it will be a rescue mission featuring Vietcongs, radio towers, ammunition dumps, PoW camps, helicopters with Captain Vlad giving the mission briefing. The score earned in the challenge is based on completing map objectives as well as the time taken by the player.
All players will be able to play Magicka: Vietnam as long as the player hosting the session has purchased DLC.
Magicka: Vietnam was officially announced on the second day of the Game Developers Conference 2011 (held on February 28-March 4, 2011). Closed beta for Vietnam began on March 18, 2011 shortly after asking for volunteers two days prior on the official Paradox Magicka forums.
The reception for Magicka: Vietnam when it was announced was generally positive. However many players felt that Arrowhead should have focused their efforts on bugfixing and patching the game as there were still many game breaking issues plaguing the game.
- The aircraft that drops the napalm strike has the silhouette of an F-4 Phantom, a period aircraft. However, at the end of the trailer, the aircraft that appear are F-22 Raptors, which are present day aircraft.
- Paradox Interactive. "Magicka: Vietnam release date set!" Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- Arrowhead Game Studios. Magicka Developer Commentary with TotalBiscuit. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- Pilestedt, Johan. "Gamereactor GDC 11 Magicka Vietnam Interview". Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- Paradox Interactive. "Paradox Interactive Unveils Magicka: Vietnam at GDC 2011". Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- Paradox Interactive. "Paradox is looking for Magicka beta-testers". Retrieved March 16, 2011.